New CAL Fire-Approved Courses Added
The American Fire Sprinkler Association (AFSA) recently added 16 new recorded webinars to its existing on-demand library. Twenty-six hours of CAL FIRE-approved courses are now available online and at fitters’ convenience. Access to these webinars is especially important for contractors in California as they need to earn CEUs from CAL FIRE-approved sources. Cost varies depending on course duration. Recorded webinars recently added include one- to four-hour courses.
“AFSA is pleased to be a CAL FIRE-approved training resource for our members,” comments AFSA’s Director of Education Services Leslie Clounts. “We have tried our best to make these courses accessible for members 24/7, so they earn the credits they need by the deadlines.”
CAL FIRE-Approved Courses (1 Hour)
• Acceptance Testing,
• Applying NFPA 25-2013 (CA) Edition,
• Backflow Preventer/Forward Flow Testing,
• Flushing Requirement for Fitters,
• Hanging for Fitters,
• NFPA 13/13R/13D,
• NFPA 291—Water Flow Testing and Marking for Hydrants,
• Seismic Protection for Fitters, and
• Types of Systems.
CAL FIRE-Approved Courses (Two-Hour)
• Air Supplies for Dry and Preaction Systems,
• Ambiguities in NFPA 13, 2016 Edition,
• NFPA 13, 2016 Edition: Obstruction Rules Explained,
• Understanding NFPA 14, 2013 Edition, and
• Understanding NFPA 20, 2016 Edition.
CAL FIRE-Approved Courses (Four-Hour)
• NFPA 13, Technical Changes from 2013 to 2016 Edition.
Are You in the Zone?
Get your sprinkler fitters “in the zone” with fitter-targeted webinars! AFSA’s Engineering & Technical Services staff present live CAL FIRE-approved Fitter Zone webinars monthly, alternating between Saturday mornings and Tuesday afternoons. Upcoming webinars include:
• April 12: “Hydraulics for Fitters.” This webinar will discuss the basic principles of hydraulics as it applies to field installation.
• May 14: “Test and Drains,” which will cover different types of test and drain assemblies and accepted installation practices.
• June 4: “Standpipes for Fitters,” providing an overview of the 2016 edition of NFPA 14 and relevant installation requirements.
Learn more and sign up to receive updates at firesprinkler.org/zone.
AFSA now offers a total of 55 recorded webinars for viewing at your convenience and in the comfort of your office. This online learning platform offers 24/7 access to continuing education units (CEUs) and/or continuing professional development (CPD) from AFSA educational events, including live webinars. AFSA On-
Demand offers fire sprinkler contractors and other professionals access to the best in specialty education anytime. Featuring the most sought-after thought leaders in fire protection, AFSA On-Demand offers a superior learning experience in a unique and user-friendly format. Members benefit from access to AFSA’s extensive library of content as well as the ability to earn CEU and CPD credit online.
AFSA On-Demand Courses are carefully developed to offer the ultimate in convenience and flexibility—as well as AFSA’s proven track record for effective training. These skill-building courses are sold individually with CEUs and/or CPDs, and members have one year from the date of purchase to complete the course.
AFSA On-Demand is available and accessible anytime, anywhere, via PC, laptop, tablet, or smartphone. Users can navigate content by topic and use the search functions to quickly find educational offerings. Additional key benefits include the following:
• Mobile-friendly: Sleek, modern design.
• Flexible training: Refresh skills, learn new techniques, and use the presentations to train teams.
• View and Print CEUs: Use your AFSA online account to track, view, download, and print your earned CEU and CPD credits from one convenient area.
• Expanding course offerings: New content becomes available regularly.
• Session previews: Comprehensive session previews with speakers’ bios are available to help members select the best sessions for their learning needs.
To read more details, visit firesprinkler.org/ondemand.
AFSA also presents live webinars covering codes, standards, and technical topics monthly. Presented by AFSA’s Engineering & Technical Services staff and other industry experts, these programs cover a variety of subjects:
• April 28: “Standpipe Plan Review” will discuss the items required to be included on standpipe and hose systems plans and specific design criteria and installation requirements that are often overlooked.
• May 26: “Listed Air Compressors for Fire Protection Systems,” covering benefits of requiring air compressors installed on sprinkler systems to be listed for fire protection use.
• June 23: “Sizing and Selections of Fire Pump Systems,” will outline driver and pump selection criteria and proper pump capacity.
Visit firesprinkler.org/live-webinars for more information.
Training for All
On-demand and live webinars are just two options in AFSA’s toolbox to assist members in earning and maintaining CEUs and CPDs. Check them out today! If your state requires pre-approval of fitter continued education, contact Leslie Clounts at firstname.lastname@example.org or (214) 349-5965 ext. 130 for assistance.